"...at the beginning the Creator made them male and female, and said, For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh. So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate" Matthew 19:4-6 (NIV).
What Does The Word of God Say to Husbands and Wives?
In Titus 2:4-5 In this scripture, the word says the older women are to teach the younger women/married women "to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed."
1. To Be Sober: One of the dictionary definition of sober means to be habitually self controlled. Self control is one of the fruit of the spirit mentioned in Galatians 5:22-23. In 1 Peter 5:8, the bible says "Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour" (KJV). The NIV translation says "Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour". When we are not sober, or out of control, we won't be able to quickly discern what the enemy is trying to do to us, and our families. But, when we are alert, we can resist him with the word of God, and he will flee from our homes. James 4:7 says, resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
2. To love their husbands: To be affectionate with their husbands.
3. To love their children: It means to be fond of your own children. To act friendly towards them.
4. To be discreet: Prudent; wise in avoiding errors or evil, and selecting the best means to accomplish a purpose; to be cautious; not rash; circumspect.
5. Chaste: To be pure from unlawful sexual intercourse; to be virtuous; to stay true to the marriage bed.
6. Keepers at home: Make sure that the affairs of your home run smoothly. Keep order, cleanliness, and clutter out of your home. Proverbs 31:27 says don't eat the bread of idleness. In other words, do not neglect your home and the people that live there. Be aware of the state of your home, spiritually, and emotionally.
7. Good: Possessing moral excellence or virtue. Having qualities which God's word requires.
8. Obedient to their own husbands:
9. Respect their husbands:
"...and the wife must respect her husband" Ephesians 5:33 b
1. A virtuous woman is a crown to her husband: but she that maketh ashamed is as rottenness in his bones" Proverbs 12:4 (NIV).
2. "....a wise, understanding, and prudent wife is from the Lord" Proverbs 19:4 (Amplified).
3. "Whoso findeth a wife findeth a good thing, and obtaineth favour of the LORD" Proverbs 18:22 (KJV).
4. "It is better to dwell in a corner of the housetop [on the flat oriental roof, exposed to all kinds of weather] than in a house shared with a nagging, quarrelsome, and faultfinding woman" Proverbs 21:9 (Amplified).
5. It is better to dwell in the wilderness, than with a contentious and an angry woman" Proverbs 21:19 (KJV).
In Ephesians 5:25 "Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it."
In 1 Peter 3:7 "Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife, as unto a weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered."
1. Husbands are to love their wives: They are to love their wives unconditionally. This kind of love "endures long, is patient and kind; it is never envious nor boils over with jealousy, is not boastful or vainglorious, does not display itself haughtily. It is not conceited (arrogant and inflated with pride); it is not rude (unmannerly) and does not act unbecomingly. Love (God's love in us) does not insist on its own rights or its own way, for it is not self-seeking; it is not touchy or fretful or resentful; it takes no account of the evil done to it [it pays no attention to a suffered wrong]. It does not rejoice at injustice and unrighteousness, but rejoices when right and truth prevail. Love bears up under anything and everything that comes, is ever ready to believe the best of every person, its hopes are fadeless under all circumstances, and it endures everything [without weakening]. LOVE NEVER FAILS [never fades out or becomes obsolete or comes to an end]" 1 Corinthians 13:4-8 (Amplified).
2. Do not be bitter against them: "Husbands, love your wives [be affectionate and sympathetic with them] and do not be harsh or bitter or resentful toward them" Colossians 3:19 (Amplified).
3. Dwell with them according to knowledge: They have to be considerate. Know and understand what makes their wives happy.
4. Honor their wives: They have to treat their wives with respect all the time. They should not make embarrassing jokes, or comments about their wives be it at home, around friends and relatives, or in public.
5. Love your wives:
"However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself" Ephesians 5:33a (NIV). The same way a husband loves himself, he is to love his wife.
1. "Live joyfully with the wife whom you love..." Ecclesiastes 9:9 a (Amplified).
2. "A hot-tempered man stirs up strife, but he who is slow to anger appeases contention" Proverbs 15:18 (Amplified).
3. ".....rejoice with the wife of thy youth. Let her be as the loving hind and pleasant roe; let her breasts satisfy thee at all times; and be thou ravish always with her love" Proverbs 5:18-19 (KJV).